Aged Care Market Strategy Phase Two Consultation
We are developing an Aged Care Market Strategy to assess the impact of key aged care reforms and identify how the aged care market can be better positioned to deliver improved outcomes for older people.
In September 2023, representatives from 53 home care, residential care and retirement living providers participated in 9 workshops. Workshops were held with a variety of provider types, sizes and geographic distribution, including Multi-Purpose Services (MPS) and government providers.
What we heard
Some consistent themes were identified across the workshops.
Challenges for the future aged care market
- Workforce shortages must be addressed for the aged care sector to be sustainable.
- Viability pressures are a key risk for the future aged care market.
- Current compliance requirements can pose challenges for innovation.
- The home care sector will need to expand to meet future demand.
- A diverse market of providers is required to meet the diverse needs of older people.
Opportunities for the future aged care market
- More flexibility in service delivery, including rehabilitation and restorative care.
- Expansion of co-location and neighbourhood care models to create aged care communities.
- Better integration of the aged care system with health and other care systems, including disability.
- Greater focus on providing specialist dementia care.
- Embedding cultural safety in all aspects of aged care.
- More collaboration and partnerships across the broader care sector.
- Greater focus on integrating and aligning carer supports and connectedness – a ‘whole of family’ approach to aged care.
Opportunities for market stewardship
- Provision of timely and reliable market information and data to providers.
- Facilitation of cross-sector collaboration and innovation.
- Establishment of a clear standard of excellence for providers.
- Exploration of scalable ICT infrastructure solutions.
- Monitoring and adjusting the market stewardship approach.
What we’re doing
We are working to ensure the aged care sector is sustainable and meets the needs of all Australians, now and in the future.
The insights identified in these workshops will inform the development of the Aged Care Market Strategy and the Australian Government’s role as a market steward.
To receive regular updates on consultation activities, sign up to our newsletters.
Let's change aged care, together
Every Australian should feel confident about accessing high quality and safe aged care, when and where they need it.
The changes mean older Australians will have greater choice and control, services that respect and meet their needs, and support to stay independent as they age.
To find out more and help design the changes, visit the Get Involved page or call 1800 318 209.