Short-Term Restorative Care for in-home aged care survey outcomes
Older people currently receive restorative care through the Short-Term Restorative Care (STRC) Programme. From 1 July 2024, restorative care will be integrated into the new in-home aged care program.
Restorative care aims to improve the wellbeing of older people by helping to manage and adapt to their changing aged care needs. It involves the delivery of short-term, goal-oriented, coordinated services designed for and approved by the older person.
In October 2022, we released a survey to seek the input of older people, their families, carers, health professionals and STRC providers.
We wanted to hear people’s experiences with STRC and how they thought restorative care would be best incorporated into the new in-home aged care program.
What we heard
We received 204 responses to the survey. Key insights included:
- Participants have had positive experiences with STRC, with many commending its flexibility and restorative focus.
- Extending the program beyond 8-weeks would better help older people achieve restorative outcomes.
- Older people, their carers and family members appreciate the access to allied health and equipment.
- Carers and family members noted high administrative costs.
- Access to the program could be simplified.
- Clearer guidance is needed to improve consistency in delivering the program.
- Providers and health professionals highlighted that multi-disciplinary teams are best practice for helping older people restore their independence and live at home for longer.
- More work is needed to help manage expectations for older people and their families. For example, encouraging older people to engage with more intensive allied health services so they can build or maintain independence.
What we’re doing
We are using responses from the survey to inform the design of restorative care in the new in-home aged care program.
Thank you to everyone who contributed to the survey.
Let's change aged care, together
Every Australian should feel confident about accessing high quality and safe aged care, when and where they need it.
The changes mean older Australians will have greater choice and control, services that respect and meet their needs, and support to stay independent as they age.
To find out more and help design the changes, visit the Get Involved page or call 1800 318 209.